Arroz Rojo4-6 servings, 1 hour
According to mom, this simple recipe was reserved for special occasions when rice could be purchased. I hope it becomes as special in your home as it was in ours.
Ingredients2 tablespoons of corn oil (may sub)
1 cup of short grain rice
1 cup of chicken broth
1 cup of water
1/2 a medium sized onion
2 ripe roma tomatoes
1/3 cup of corn kernels (optional)
1/3 cup of carrots, diced (optional)
1/3 cup of peas (optional)
Directions1. Boil the water in a shallow pan, add the tomatoes and parboil until the skins can be removed. Place the water, peeled tomatoes and onion in the blender and blend and set tomato sauce aside.
2. Boil the chicken broth to prepare for use.
3. Place the oil in a pan (that can hold at least 3 cups of liquids) over medium heat and add the rice. Continuously stir the rice in the oil until the rice is a medium brown color. You will know when it's ready by the glorious smell of browned rice.
4. Add the tomato sauce and mix until incorporated.
5. Add the boiled chicken broth and stir until incorporated.
6. Lower the heat to low and let simmer with the top on until the rice semi-cooked. Add the corn, carrots and peas if you want to at this time.
7. Continue to cook on low heat until the rice is fully cooked.
💗 Once you stir in the vegetables, do not stir the rice and say a little prayer that the bottom doesn't burn. If it does burn, do not scrape the bottom of the pan and it should still be delectable. Do not be discouraged if you don't get it right the first time, it took me years to truly master this recipe.